Flats: c/o Rockport
Jewelry: c/o Rocksbox *Use code: ladiesinnavyxoxo for a free month
Swimsuit: c/o Garnet Hill
I've been thinking a lot about uniforms. Perhaps it is my shrinking amount of time to spend on things like getting dressed or picking out an outfit. Or maybe it's articles like this on the web, about other women forgoing outfit choice in order to just get to work. I met up with Jane for coffee the other day and we landed on this subject, too. She was headed off to do a summer capsule wardrobe, focusing on some cleaning out things that didn't fit, didn't mesh with her current style, and weren't useful for her everyday life as a new Mom. In a materialistic culture and one obsessed with staying on-trend, there is so much waste in what we purchase - ill-fitting items, one-wear Forever21 trend pieces for a party or concert, dresses that don't actually flatter, pants that are too short, skirts that are too tight/loose. Reflecting on all of the bags of clothing Ben and I recently gave away led me to one conclusion: I have too much stuff.
As summer is a time of lightness - quite literally - I'm focused on dialing in a dress code (uniform implies I'll only be wearing one outfit) for myself that reflects what I love to wear, products that are high quality and lasting, and things that make me feel good. Thinking back to summers past, though I had many summer items in my closet, I really wore one dress and one favorite pair of shorts for all adventures. My summer uniform looks a lot like the photo set above, easy, simple, and classic.
My summer dress code:
1. Gold jewelry. It's all I wear now. Dainty pieces, no statement jewelry. I'm taking advantage of Rocksbox to have a rotating set of jewelry that I don't have to keep or necessarily add to my collection of baubles.
2. LOFT shorts. LOFT's shorts are my favorite shorts to-date. They come in variable inseams (yay 4"!), come in a classic set of patterns and colors, and are high enough quality to last more than one season. I currently have these cream eyelet shorts, a pair of white tailored shorts, and a pair of blue and white striped shorts, all from the LOFT. Considering my summer collection complete.
3. Basic tees. I recently boosted my basic tee wardrobe from none to tons. I purchased four striped and plain tees in navy, black, grey and white, and black and white. I plan to rotate through them. They're versatile enough to wear with a skirt, shorts, jeans, under a blazer to work, and on a day hike.
4. Leather goods. I've had it with things that fall apart, so it has been leather goods or bust recently in the shoe and handbag department. I'm obsessed with simple, flat leather sandals for summer and this Madewell bucket bag that holds everything.
5. A classic one-piece suit. I haven't worn a one-piece in ages, probably because they were not on-trend, but now that they've come back into style, I will be wearing this Garnet Hill suit to any beachy adventures we have this summer. I love the flattering shape, stripe detail, and the fact that you no longer have to wear a bikini to be in vogue.